Spanish interrogative pronouns
- Spanish interrogative pronouns practice quiz Score -/-
- Spanish interrogative pronouns - Fill in the blanks Score -/-
- Exercise on "¿Cuál?" VS "¿qué?" Score -/-
Interrogative pronouns (pronombres interrogativos) are exclusively used in questions.
Like in English, Spanish interrogative pronouns are generally placed at the very beginning or very near the beginning of a sentence.
- ¿Quién es él? (Who is he?)
- ¿En qué piensas? (What are you thinking about?)
Interrogative pronoun list
|Interrogative pronoun||English translation||Example|
|¿Adónde vas? (Where are you going?)|
|how||¿Cómo estas? (How are you?)|
- ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- ¿Cuáles quieres? (Which ones do you want?)
- ¿Cuándo vas al gimnasio? (When do you go to the gym?)
- ¿Hasta cuándo te quedas en Valencia? (Until when are you staying in Valencia?)
- ¿Cuánto hay? (How much is there?)
- ¿Cuántos? (How many?)
|dónde||where?||- ¿Dónde vives? (Where do you live?)|
- ¿Qué haces? (What are you doing?)
- ¿De qué estáis hablando? (What are you talking about?)
- ¿Quién es ese chico? (Who is that guy?)
- ¿Quiénes son Ustedes? (Who are you?)
Difference between qué and cuál
Generally, "¿qué?" is closer to "what", and "¿cuál?" is closer to "which".
However, this rule is not always true.
- QUÉ: ¿Qué te apetece cenar esta noche? (What do you want for dinner tonight?)
- CUÁL: ¿Cuál es la playa más grande de Valencia? (Which is the biggest beach in Valencia?)
Cuáles is the plural form of cuál.
¿Cuáles son tus libros favoritos? (What are your favourite books?)
"¿Qué?" is followed by a noun or a verb.
- VERB: ¿Qué quieres hacer? (What do you want to do?)
- NOUN: ¿Qué móvil te has comprado? (Which mobile phone have you bought?)
"¿Cuál? is followed by a verb or the preposition "de".
- VERB: ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- DE: ¿Cuál de estos verbos es irregular? (Which one of these verbs is irregular?)
|When talking about something||asking for the meaning of something||asking for the name of something|
|Example||¿Qué son las Fallas? (What Fallas are?)||¿Cuáles son las fiestas típicas españolas? (Which are the typical Spanish festivals?)|
|When picking an element from a group||picking an element from a diverse group||picking an element from a homogeneous group|
|Example||¿Qué le compramos, un reloj o un portátil? (What do we buy him? A watch or a laptop?)||De todos estos dulces, ¿cuál prefieres? (Among all these sweets, which one do you prefer?)|
The accent mark on interrogative pronouns
Interrogative pronouns always carry the accent mark.
Many of the interrogative pronouns can also be used in indirect questions while retaining the accent mark.
- DIRECT QUESTION: ¿De dónde eres? (Where are you from?)
- INDIRECT QUESTION: Estoy preocupada. No sé dónde está. (I am worried. I do not know where he is.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Your Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish
Very experienced teacher!
I teach: Spanish, French
I’m French, currently living in the Netherlands.I lived in Paris for almost twenty years, and I know very well my country (and of course... my language, French, my mother tongue). I taught French for two years in Spain, conversation class about culture essentially.In Paris, I was Spanish teacher, I have the Agregation degree which is the highest degree for teaching in France, I'm bilingual. I've participated too in several editorial projects about Spanish teaching and DELE preparation. I have a Spanish Studies Master and I'm currently doing a research about the Spanish and Sefardi Judaism. I have a French as foreign language and a Religious Studies Masters too. I enjoy sharing what I know. I’m a very eclectic person and curious about everything. To give you an idea, my interest (and sometimes hobbies) are: philosophy, spirituality and religions in general, meditation, psychology and psychoanalysis, history, geography, literature, writing (in particular creative writing, and I’m used to write everyday), art (painting, photography), sciences (vulgarisation level) and cultural matters in general. I travel a lot (as a backpacker), sometimes by foot, and the places I know well are France, the Netherlands, Italy and Serbia.One of my qualities is my capacity of adaptation, I enjoy preparing documents to help the student to acquire autonomy, but I love speaking too, and it’s the best way to learn a language.I'm waiting for your message, please when contact me, explain quickly who you are, why you want to study French and what you are looking for exactly.See you soon. Read more
It@lian, English and Spanish with Daniela
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school, and Spanish and French... as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!