Spanish interrogative pronouns
- Spanish interrogative pronouns practice quiz Score -/-
- Spanish interrogative pronouns - Fill in the blanks Score -/-
- Exercise on "¿Cuál?" VS "¿qué?" Score -/-
Interrogative pronouns (pronombres interrogativos) are exclusively used in questions.
Like in English, Spanish interrogative pronouns are generally placed at the very beginning or very near the beginning of a sentence.
- ¿Quién es él? (Who is he?)
- ¿En qué piensas? (What are you thinking about?)
Interrogative pronoun list
|Interrogative pronoun||English translation||Example|
|¿Adónde vas? (Where are you going?)|
|how||¿Cómo estas? (How are you?)|
- ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- ¿Cuáles quieres? (Which ones do you want?)
- ¿Cuándo vas al gimnasio? (When do you go to the gym?)
- ¿Hasta cuándo te quedas en Valencia? (Until when are you staying in Valencia?)
- ¿Cuánto hay? (How much is there?)
- ¿Cuántos? (How many?)
|dónde||where?||- ¿Dónde vives? (Where do you live?)|
- ¿Qué haces? (What are you doing?)
- ¿De qué estáis hablando? (What are you talking about?)
- ¿Quién es ese chico? (Who is that guy?)
- ¿Quiénes son Ustedes? (Who are you?)
Difference between qué and cuál
Generally, "¿qué?" is closer to "what", and "¿cuál?" is closer to "which".
However, this rule is not always true.
- QUÉ: ¿Qué te apetece cenar esta noche? (What do you want for dinner tonight?)
- CUÁL: ¿Cuál es la playa más grande de Valencia? (Which is the biggest beach in Valencia?)
Cuáles is the plural form of cuál.
¿Cuáles son tus libros favoritos? (What are your favourite books?)
"¿Qué?" is followed by a noun or a verb.
- VERB: ¿Qué quieres hacer? (What do you want to do?)
- NOUN: ¿Qué móvil te has comprado? (Which mobile phone have you bought?)
"¿Cuál? is followed by a verb or the preposition "de".
- VERB: ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- DE: ¿Cuál de estos verbos es irregular? (Which one of these verbs is irregular?)
|When talking about something||asking for the meaning of something||asking for the name of something|
|Example||¿Qué son las Fallas? (What Fallas are?)||¿Cuáles son las fiestas típicas españolas? (Which are the typical Spanish festivals?)|
|When picking an element from a group||picking an element from a diverse group||picking an element from a homogeneous group|
|Example||¿Qué le compramos, un reloj o un portátil? (What do we buy him? A watch or a laptop?)||De todos estos dulces, ¿cuál prefieres? (Among all these sweets, which one do you prefer?)|
The accent mark on interrogative pronouns
Interrogative pronouns always carry the accent mark.
Many of the interrogative pronouns can also be used in indirect questions while retaining the accent mark.
- DIRECT QUESTION: ¿De dónde eres? (Where are you from?)
- INDIRECT QUESTION: Estoy preocupada. No sé dónde está. (I am worried. I do not know where he is.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Parli@mo italiano! Italian classes with a certified teacher! English and Spanish classes
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school and also Spanish and... French as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
English Course - All Levels
I teach: English, Spanish
Greetings dear student,My name is Alberto Pérez. I am an English teacher with honors at the Universidad Experimental Libertador in... Barquisimeto, Venezuela. I have ample experience (7 years) teaching hundreds of students the English language with several methods for teaching it. This has been always making learning more suitable and easy for students.I have worked in universities, high schools and academies so I have a basic experience with adults, young people and adolescents. In addition to a master's degree in "Educational Management", whose thesis on the management of technological tools to carry out a more meaningful, effective and efficient student learning in English.In addition to this, I have 3 years of experience working as an online English teacher-tutor. I teach through applications such as Skype and other online teaching platforms where student learning is concretized more effectively and actively in comparison to face-to-face classes.It's important to say that I am also in the capacity and training to teach Spanish which is my native language; I teach it by the same means as English. On the other hand, I teach my English lessons online in a particular way, not only in the teaching methods of English but also taking into account the processes that are given to carry out learning in the human being; thus attacking the most specific needs that each student needs. For this, I use practical and psychological techniques which through have been successful during last years. Read more