Spanish interrogative pronouns
- Spanish interrogative pronouns practice quiz Score -/-
- Spanish interrogative pronouns - Fill in the blanks Score -/-
- Exercise on "¿Cuál?" VS "¿qué?" Score -/-
Interrogative pronouns (pronombres interrogativos) are exclusively used in questions.
Like in English, Spanish interrogative pronouns are generally placed at the very beginning or very near the beginning of a sentence.
- ¿Quién es él? (Who is he?)
- ¿En qué piensas? (What are you thinking about?)
Interrogative pronoun list
|Interrogative pronoun||English translation||Example|
|¿Adónde vas? (Where are you going?)|
|how||¿Cómo estas? (How are you?)|
- ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- ¿Cuáles quieres? (Which ones do you want?)
- ¿Cuándo vas al gimnasio? (When do you go to the gym?)
- ¿Hasta cuándo te quedas en Valencia? (Until when are you staying in Valencia?)
- ¿Cuánto hay? (How much is there?)
- ¿Cuántos? (How many?)
|dónde||where?||- ¿Dónde vives? (Where do you live?)|
- ¿Qué haces? (What are you doing?)
- ¿De qué estáis hablando? (What are you talking about?)
- ¿Quién es ese chico? (Who is that guy?)
- ¿Quiénes son Ustedes? (Who are you?)
Difference between qué and cuál
Generally, "¿qué?" is closer to "what", and "¿cuál?" is closer to "which".
However, this rule is not always true.
- QUÉ: ¿Qué te apetece cenar esta noche? (What do you want for dinner tonight?)
- CUÁL: ¿Cuál es la playa más grande de Valencia? (Which is the biggest beach in Valencia?)
Cuáles is the plural form of cuál.
¿Cuáles son tus libros favoritos? (What are your favourite books?)
"¿Qué?" is followed by a noun or a verb.
- VERB: ¿Qué quieres hacer? (What do you want to do?)
- NOUN: ¿Qué móvil te has comprado? (Which mobile phone have you bought?)
"¿Cuál? is followed by a verb or the preposition "de".
- VERB: ¿Cuál prefieres? (Which one do you prefer?)
- DE: ¿Cuál de estos verbos es irregular? (Which one of these verbs is irregular?)
|When talking about something||asking for the meaning of something||asking for the name of something|
|Example||¿Qué son las Fallas? (What Fallas are?)||¿Cuáles son las fiestas típicas españolas? (Which are the typical Spanish festivals?)|
|When picking an element from a group||picking an element from a diverse group||picking an element from a homogeneous group|
|Example||¿Qué le compramos, un reloj o un portátil? (What do we buy him? A watch or a laptop?)||De todos estos dulces, ¿cuál prefieres? (Among all these sweets, which one do you prefer?)|
The accent mark on interrogative pronouns
Interrogative pronouns always carry the accent mark.
Many of the interrogative pronouns can also be used in indirect questions while retaining the accent mark.
- DIRECT QUESTION: ¿De dónde eres? (Where are you from?)
- INDIRECT QUESTION: Estoy preocupada. No sé dónde está. (I am worried. I do not know where he is.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
English Course - All Levels
I teach: English, Spanish
Greetings dear student,My name is Alberto Pérez. I am an English teacher with honors at the Universidad Experimental Libertador in... Barquisimeto, Venezuela. I have ample experience (7 years) teaching hundreds of students the English language with several methods for teaching it. This has been always making learning more suitable and easy for students.I have worked in universities, high schools and academies so I have a basic experience with adults, young people and adolescents. In addition to a master's degree in "Educational Management", whose thesis on the management of technological tools to carry out a more meaningful, effective and efficient student learning in English.In addition to this, I have 3 years of experience working as an online English teacher-tutor. I teach through applications such as Skype and other online teaching platforms where student learning is concretized more effectively and actively in comparison to face-to-face classes.It's important to say that I am also in the capacity and training to teach Spanish which is my native language; I teach it by the same means as English. On the other hand, I teach my English lessons online in a particular way, not only in the teaching methods of English but also taking into account the processes that are given to carry out learning in the human being; thus attacking the most specific needs that each student needs. For this, I use practical and psychological techniques which through have been successful during last years. Read more
German for all levels!
I teach: English, German, Spanish
So with me you can learn all the tipps to improve or learn German. I also worked as an Engineer for several years so we can as well work on your... vocabulary in a technical level. I am a great fan of new cultures and languages. Feel free to contact me for a class :) Read more
French lessons for all
I teach: Spanish, French
I’m French, currently living in the Netherlands. I lived in Paris for almost twenty years, and I know very well my country (and of course... my language, French, my mother tongue). I taught French for two years in Spain, conversation class about culture essentially.I have a French for foreigners Master.I enjoy sharing what I know. I’m a very eclectic person and curious about everything. To give you an idea, my interest (and sometimes hobbies) are: philosophy, spirituality and religions in general, meditation, psychology and psychoanalysis, history, geography, literature, writing (in particular creative writing, and I’m used to write everyday), art (painting, photography), sciences (vulgarisation level) and cultural matters in general. I travel a lot (as a backpacker), sometimes by foot, and the places I know well are France, the Netherlands, Italy and Serbia.One of my qualities is my capacity of adaptation, I enjoy preparing documents to help the student to acquire autonomy, but I love speaking too, and it’s the best way to learn a language.I'm waiting for your message, please when contact me, explain quickly who you are, why you want to study French and what you are looking for exactly.See you soon. Read more