Futuro próximo (ir a + infinitivo)
- 1.What is the futuro próximo?
- 1.1.The formation of the futuro próximo
- 1.2.Conjugation of the auxiliary verb ir
- 1.3.The complete formation of the futuro próximo
- 2.When to use the futuro próximo?
- 2.1.Plans or intentions in the future
- 2.2.Actions in the immediate future
- 3.Marker words of the futuro próximo
What is the futuro próximo?
The futuro próximo (“going to-future” in English) is used to express something that is going to happen in the future, no matter the time, and it is a plan, something you have scheduled.
The formation of the futuro próximo
The formation of this tense is very simple and its use is very common in Spanish. We just need:
- Verb ir (to go) used as an auxiliary verb.
- The preposition “a”
- The infinitive of the verb
Conjugation of the auxiliary verb ir
|Personal pronouns||Auxiliary verb ir in present|
|él/ ella/ usted||va|
|ellos/ ellas/ ustedes||van|
The complete formation of the futuro próximo
|Personal pronouns||Auxiliary verb ir in present||Preposition||Infinitive|
Fortunately this tense doesn’t have any irregularities!
When to use the futuro próximo?
The use of ir+a+infinitive is very common in Spanish. We use it for:
Plans or intentions in the future
- El año que viene voy a hacer más deporte. (I am going to do more sport next year.)
- El sábado en la fiesta no voy a beber mucho. (I am not going to drink too much at the party on Saturday.)
Actions in the immediate future
If the action takes place right after speaking we also use the futuro próximo
- Ahora voy a hacer un pastel. (I am going to bake a cake.)
- No sé, voy a hablar con Isabel. (I don’t know, I am going to talk to Isabel.)
Marker words of the futuro próximo
|esta tarde||this afternoon|
|la semana que viene||next week|
|el mes que viene||next month|
|el año que viene||next year|
|mañana por la mañana||tomorrow morning|
|mañana por la tarde||tomorrow afternoon|
|mañana por la noche||tomorrow night|
If the futuro próximo is too easy for you, read the pages on futuro simple and futuro compuesto
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Your Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish
Very experienced teacher!
It@lian, English and Spanish with Daniela
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school, and Spanish and French... as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
Dutch and Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish, Dutch
Hi, I'm Adriaan. I have been teaching Dutch and Spanish for seven years to students of all levels, from absolute beginners to... students who only need conversation. My students are of all ages, from 9 to 76 years old and from all continents. With each student I create a Google doc in which I put all the grammatical information, exercises and homework after each class. I can help you if you want to learn the language for fun, for work, or to prepare for an exam. Languages are my passion! See you soon! Read more