Spanish possessive pronouns
Spanish possessive pronouns (pronombres posesivos ) indicate possession.
They replace a noun preceded by a possessive adjective.
- ¿Te gusta mi falda? (Do you like my skirt?)
- Sí, pero prefiero la suya. (Yes, but I prefer hers.)
Possessive pronoun forms
|Subject pronoun||Masculine singular||Feminine singular||Masculine plural||Feminine plural||English translation|
|Yo||el mío||la mía||los míos||las mías||mine|
|Tú||el tuyo||la tuya||los tuyos||las tuyas||yours|
|Él / Ella||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||his / hers|
|Usted||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||formal yours|
|Nosotros||el nuestro||la nuestra||los nuestros||las nuestras||ours|
|Vosotros||el vuestro||la vuestra||los vuestros||las vuestras||yours|
|Ellos / Ellas||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||theirs|
|Ustedes||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||formal yours|
- Su idea y la tuya son las mejores. (His idea and yours are the best ones.)
- Nuestra oficina está lejos del centro, mientras la vuestra está cerca. (Our office is far from the centre, but yours is close)
- ¿Te gustan mis vaqueros? No, prefiero los suyos. (Do you like my jeans? No, I prefer his.)
- He olvidado mis gafas de sol. ¿Puedo usar las tuyas? (I have forgotten my sunglasses. May I use yours?)
Each possessive pronoun has four forms that must agree in gender and number with the noun they replace.
These pronouns are the same as the long forms of possessive adjectives, but are always used with the definite article.
- Tu coche es más rápido que el mío. (Your car is faster than mine.)
- La camisa que acabas de comprar es más elegante que la suya. (The shirt you have just bought is more elegant than his/hers.)
- Mis sábanas son de seda. Las suyas son de algodón. (My bedsheets are made of silk. His/Hers are made of cotton.)
- Me gustan sus guantes de piel, pero prefiero los tuyos. (I like his leather gloves, but I prefer yours.)
Since the third person pronouns refer to his/hers/formal yours, you may need to clarify your message by using the definite article + de + él/ella/Usted/ellos/ellas/Ustedes.
- Hoy es su cumpleaños. (Today is his birthday.)
- ¿El de él o el de ella? (His or hers?)
- El de ella. (Hers.)
By replacing both the noun and the possessive adjective which precedes it, possessive pronouns avoid repetitions.
Olvidé mi télefono. ¿Puedo utilizar el tuyo? (I forgot my phone. May I use yours?)
To refer to a concept or idea, use the neuter possessive form lo + the masculine possessive pronoun.
- Nunca podré olvidar lo nuestro. (I will never forget what is ours.)
- A partir de ese momento, supe que lo mío era ser medico. (Since that moment, I know that my business was to be a doctor.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Your Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish
Very experienced teacher!
Group lessons possible
Spanish teacher on line, Spanish as a Foreign Language DELE
I teach: Spanish
Hello everyone, my name is Verónica Palacios, I am a Spanish teacher with a master's degree in modern languages and speech studies; I... have worked as a language teacher in face-to-face and online classes for 13 years. Teaching languages is an activity that I love, I enjoy teaching my mother tongue, I help my students with questions in grammar, reading, writing, speaking, listening to Spanish, in my tutorials I put a lot of emphasis on culture and different learning contexts . Spanish is a very important language at present; If you have knowledge in Spanish, you will have the opportunity to do business, study or visit abroad, in addition to knowing the culture of Spanish-speaking countries. I would like to be your Spanish tutor and work together as a team. I hope you have a beautiful day. See you. Read more
It@lian, English and Spanish with Daniela
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school, and Spanish and French... as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!