Spanish possessive pronouns
Spanish possessive pronouns (pronombres posesivos ) indicate possession.
They replace a noun preceded by a possessive adjective.
- ¿Te gusta mi falda? (Do you like my skirt?)
- Sí, pero prefiero la suya. (Yes, but I prefer hers.)
Possessive pronoun forms
|Subject pronoun||Masculine singular||Feminine singular||Masculine plural||Feminine plural||English translation|
|Yo||el mío||la mía||los míos||las mías||mine|
|Tú||el tuyo||la tuya||los tuyos||las tuyas||yours|
|Él / Ella||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||his / hers|
|Usted||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||formal yours|
|Nosotros||el nuestro||la nuestra||los nuestros||las nuestras||ours|
|Vosotros||el vuestro||la vuestra||los vuestros||las vuestras||yours|
|Ellos / Ellas||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||theirs|
|Ustedes||el suyo||la suya||los suyos||las suyas||formal yours|
- Su idea y la tuya son las mejores. (His idea and yours are the best ones.)
- Nuestra oficina está lejos del centro, mientras la vuestra está cerca. (Our office is far from the centre, but yours is close)
- ¿Te gustan mis vaqueros? No, prefiero los suyos. (Do you like my jeans? No, I prefer his.)
- He olvidado mis gafas de sol. ¿Puedo usar las tuyas? (I have forgotten my sunglasses. May I use yours?)
Each possessive pronoun has four forms that must agree in gender and number with the noun they replace.
These pronouns are the same as the long forms of possessive adjectives, but are always used with the definite article.
- Tu coche es más rápido que el mío. (Your car is faster than mine.)
- La camisa que acabas de comprar es más elegante que la suya. (The shirt you have just bought is more elegant than his/hers.)
- Mis sábanas son de seda. Las suyas son de algodón. (My bedsheets are made of silk. His/Hers are made of cotton.)
- Me gustan sus guantes de piel, pero prefiero los tuyos. (I like his leather gloves, but I prefer yours.)
Since the third person pronouns refer to his/hers/formal yours, you may need to clarify your message by using the definite article + de + él/ella/Usted/ellos/ellas/Ustedes.
- Hoy es su cumpleaños. (Today is his birthday.)
- ¿El de él o el de ella? (His or hers?)
- El de ella. (Hers.)
By replacing both the noun and the possessive adjective which precedes it, possessive pronouns avoid repetitions.
Olvidé mi télefono. ¿Puedo utilizar el tuyo? (I forgot my phone. May I use yours?)
To refer to a concept or idea, use the neuter possessive form lo + the masculine possessive pronoun.
- Nunca podré olvidar lo nuestro. (I will never forget what is ours.)
- A partir de ese momento, supe que lo mío era ser medico. (Since that moment, I know that my business was to be a doctor.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Parli@mo italiano! Italian classes with a certified teacher! English and Spanish classes
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school and also Spanish and... French as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
English Course - All Levels
I teach: English, Spanish
Greetings dear student,My name is Alberto Pérez. I am an English teacher with honors at the Universidad Experimental Libertador in... Barquisimeto, Venezuela. I have ample experience (7 years) teaching hundreds of students the English language with several methods for teaching it. This has been always making learning more suitable and easy for students.I have worked in universities, high schools and academies so I have a basic experience with adults, young people and adolescents. In addition to a master's degree in "Educational Management", whose thesis on the management of technological tools to carry out a more meaningful, effective and efficient student learning in English.In addition to this, I have 3 years of experience working as an online English teacher-tutor. I teach through applications such as Skype and other online teaching platforms where student learning is concretized more effectively and actively in comparison to face-to-face classes.It's important to say that I am also in the capacity and training to teach Spanish which is my native language; I teach it by the same means as English. On the other hand, I teach my English lessons online in a particular way, not only in the teaching methods of English but also taking into account the processes that are given to carry out learning in the human being; thus attacking the most specific needs that each student needs. For this, I use practical and psychological techniques which through have been successful during last years. Read more