Adjectives have different functions depending on the role they play with the noun they modify.
There are five different adjective categories:
- descriptive adjectives
- demonstrative adjectives
- possessive adjectives
- indefinite adjectives
- comparative and superlative adjectives
Placement of Spanish adjectives
Adjectives are generally placed after the noun they modify.
- Amberes es una ciudad interesante. (Antwerp is an interesting city.)
- Me gustan las tartas saladas. (I like salty cakes.)
Demonstrative, possessive and indefinite adjectives generally occur before the noun they modify.
- Demonstrative: Esta tarta está caliente todavía. (This cake is still hot.)
- Possessive: Su casa está en la esquina. (His/Her house is in the corner.)
- Indefinite: Algunos alumnos se han ido a casa ya. (Some students have already gone home.)
Gender and number of Spanish adjectives
All of them must agree in gender (masculine, feminine) and number (singular, plural) with the noun they modify.
- La gata de Lucía es blanca y negra. (Lucía's cat is black and white.)
- Tengo dos relojes dorados. (I have two golden watches.)
1. Descriptive adjectives
Descriptive adjectives describe the qualities of a noun.
El niño está triste. (The child is sad.)
2. Demonstrative adjectives
Demonstrative adjectives indicate the location of a noun.
- Cierra esta puerta. (Close this door.)
- Me gusta ese par de vaqueros. (I like that pair of jeans.)
- Abre aquella ventana. (Open that window over there.)
3. Possessive adjectives
Possessive adjectives express possession or ownership.
- Mi gato es naranja. (My cat is ginger.)
- Un amigo mío nació en Paris. (A friend of mine was born in paris.)
4. Indefinite adjectives
Indefinite adjectives indicate the indefinite idea of quantity and quality of nouns.
Quiero otra galleta. (I want another biscuit.)
5. Comparative and superlative adjectives
Comparative and superlative adjectives express the quality degree of nouns.
- Eres más alto que yo. (You are taller than me.)
- Lucas es menos inteligente que su hermano. (Lucas is less clever than his brother.)
- Soy tan baja como tú. (I am as short as you.)
- Marta es la más guapa de la escuela. (Marta is the most beautiful of the school.)
Using adjectives as nouns
To form nouns with adjectives, you need to add an article (definite or indefinite) before the adjective.
- ¿Cuáles guantes prefieres? Me gustan los blancos. (Which gloves do you prefer? I like the white ones.)
- Me gusta esta guitarra, pero lo malo es que es muy pesada. (I like this guitar, but the bad thing is that it is too heavy.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Parli@mo italiano! Italian classes with a certified teacher! English and Spanish classes
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school and also Spanish and... French as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
English Course - All Levels
I teach: English, Spanish
Greetings dear student,My name is Alberto Pérez. I am an English teacher with honors at the Universidad Experimental Libertador in... Barquisimeto, Venezuela. I have ample experience (7 years) teaching hundreds of students the English language with several methods for teaching it. This has been always making learning more suitable and easy for students.I have worked in universities, high schools and academies so I have a basic experience with adults, young people and adolescents. In addition to a master's degree in "Educational Management", whose thesis on the management of technological tools to carry out a more meaningful, effective and efficient student learning in English.In addition to this, I have 3 years of experience working as an online English teacher-tutor. I teach through applications such as Skype and other online teaching platforms where student learning is concretized more effectively and actively in comparison to face-to-face classes.It's important to say that I am also in the capacity and training to teach Spanish which is my native language; I teach it by the same means as English. On the other hand, I teach my English lessons online in a particular way, not only in the teaching methods of English but also taking into account the processes that are given to carry out learning in the human being; thus attacking the most specific needs that each student needs. For this, I use practical and psychological techniques which through have been successful during last years. Read more