Adverbs of place in Spanish (aquí...)
Adverbs of place (adverbios de lugar) give information about the location of an action.
They give an answer to questions starting with "where?".
- Where are your room keys?
- Las llaves de tu habitación están aquí. (Your room keys are here.)
- Where should I put my backpack?
- Pon tu mochila debajo del asiento. (Put your backpack under the seat.)
Adverbs of place generally modify the verb they refer to.
Since they refer to a verb, they do not change according to the gender or number.
- El gato está encima del sofá. (The cat is on the couch.)
- El banco está enfrente del restaurante italiano. (The bank is in front of the Italian restaurant.)
Adverbs of place are generally placed after the verb they modify.
- El banco está allí. (The bank is over there.)
- Siéntate aquí. (Sit down here.)
Types of adverbs of place
Adverbs of place are divided into 2 types:
- demonstrative adverbs
- adverbs of location
1. Demonstrative adverbs
Demonstrative adverbs indicate an imprecise location.
|Spanish adverb||English adverb||Example|
|acá||here, over here||Miguel vive acá. (Miguel lives here.)|
|ahí||there||Pon tus gafas ahí. (Put your glasses there.)|
|allá||there, over there||Vamos para allá. (Let's go over there.)|
|allí||there||La carnicería está allí. (The butcher's is there.)|
|aquí||here||Deberías venir aquí. (You should come here.)|
2. Adverbs of location
Adverbs of location are divided into 2 other types:
- adverbs of position
- adverbs of direction
They correspond to English prepositions of place.
- Es: La parada del autobus está delante de la casa de Javier. (delante: adverb)
- En: The bus stop is in front of Javier's house. (in front of: preposition)
1. Adverbs of position
Adverbs of position indicate where something or someone is exactly located.
They are generally followed by the preposition de.
|Adverb of position||Opposite|
|delante (in front)||detrás (behind)|
|dentro (inside)||fuera (outside)|
|encima (ahead)||debajo (underneath)|
- El banco está detrás de la parada del autobús. (The bank is behind the bus stop.)
- Aparqué el coche delante del supermercado. (I parked the car in front of the supermarket.)
- El gato está fuera de la casa. (The cat is outside the house.)
* When de is followed by the definite article el, they turn into del (de+el).
2. Adverbs of direction
As the name suggests, these type of adverbs indicate direction.
Unlike adverbs of position, adverbs of direction are generally used with verbs which express movement.
|Adverb of direction||Opposite|
|adelante (forwards, to the front)||atrás (behind, back)|
|arriba (above)||abajo (downwards, down)|
|adentro (inside)||afuera (outside)|
- ¡Vamos adelante! (Let's go ahead!)
- El bar está abajo y el restaurante arriba. (The bar is downstairs and the restaurant upstairs.)
- Mejor vamos adentro porque aquí hace mucho calor. (Let's go inside because it is hot out here.)
To clarify the difference between adverbs of position and adverbs of direction, have a look at the following examples:
- Exact location: Puso su paraguas detrás de la puerta. (He put his umbrella behind the door.)
- Movement towards a point: Se fueron sin mirar atrás. (They left without looking backwards.)
Other adverbs of place
|Spanish adverb||English translation||Example|
|a la derecha||
to the right
on the right
|Hay un edificio histórico a la derecha. (There is an historic building on the right.)|
|a la izquierda||
to the left
on the left
|El camino tuerce bruscamente a la izquierda. (The road turns sharply to the left.)|
|al final||in the end||Hay un banco al final de la calle. (There is a bank at the end of the street.)|
|Hay una panadería turca al lado de la oficina. (There is a Turkisk bakery next to the office.)|
|alrededor||around||Los niños corrían alrededor del árbol. (The kids ran around the tree.)|
|en el centro||in the middle||En el centro de la plaza hay una fuente. (There is a fountain in the middle of the square.)|
|en el medio||in the middle||Se cayó en el medio de carretera. (He fell down in the middle of the road.)|
|enfrente||in front of||La lavandería está enfrente del supermercado. (The laundry is in front of the supermarket.)|
|cerca||close||La carnicería está cerca del casco histórico. (The butcher's is close to the historical centre.)|
|lejos||far||La playa está lejos de mi casa. (The beach is far from my house.)|
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Your Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish
It@lian, English and Spanish with Daniela
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school, and Spanish and French... as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Very experienced teacher!