Spanish possessive adjectives
Possessive adjectives (adjetivos posesivos) express possession or ownership.
Unlike English, they reflect the gender and quantity of the thing being owned, not of the owner.
- ¿Te gustan mis faldas? (Do you like my skirts?)
- Nuestro abuelo es de Cartagena. (Our grandfather is from Cartagena.)
- 1.Possessive adjective forms: the short forms and the long forms
- 1.1.When to use the short and the long forms in Spanish
- 1.2.The short forms
- 1.2.1.Short form placement
- 1.2.2.Gender and number of short forms
- 1.2.3.How to express his/her/their in Spanish
- 1.3.Long forms
- 1.3.1.Long form placement
- 1.3.2.Gender and number of long forms
- 1.3.3.Third-person singular and plural forms (suyo, suyos...)
- 1.3.4.Other English equivalents of the long forms
Possessive adjective forms: the short forms and the long forms
Spanish possessive adjectives have two different forms:
- the short forms
- the long forms
When to use the short and the long forms in Spanish
Unlike the short forms, the long ones emphasize who the owner is or contrast one possessor with another.
- Este es mi portátil y ese es el tuyo. (This is my laptop, and that one is yours.)
- Prefiero el coche suyo y no el nuestro. (I prefer their car and not ours.)
1. The short forms
|Singular||Plural form||English translation|
|su||sus||his/her/its + formal you|
|nuestro / nuestra||nuestros / nuestras||our|
|vuestro / vuestra||vuestros / vuestras||your (pl.)|
|su||sus||their + formal you|
Short form placement
The short forms are placed before the nouns.
Mi amiga se llama Lorena. (My friend's name is Lorena.)
Gender and number of short forms
Spanish our and your are the only possessive adjectives which are declined into masculine (nuestro/vuestro), feminine (nuestra/vuestra) and plural (nuestros, nuestras / vuestros, vuestras).
- Nuestro / Vuestro primo es albañil. (Our/Your cousin is a bricklayer.)
- Nuestra / Vuestra ciudad está cerca de Madrid. (Our/Your city is close to Madrid)
- Nuestros / Vuestros idiomas de parecen. (Our/Your languages are alike.)
- Nuestras / Vuestras primas son simpáticas. (Our/Your cousins are nice.)
How to express his/her/their in Spanish
The forms "su" (singular) and "sus" (plural) mean his, her, formal you and their. The context will help you to determine the person the adjective refers to.
- A Juan le gusta su corbata nueva y a Ana le gusta su camisa blanca. (Juan likes his new tie, and Ana likes her white shirt.)
- Miguel y sus hijos se van al parque en coche. (Miguel and his sons go to the park by car.)
- Los administradores hablan con sus empleados. (The managers talk to their employees.)
- Don José, ¿como está su hijo? (Don José, how is your son going?)
2. Long forms
|Singular form||Plural form||English translation|
|mío / mía*||míos / mías*||mine|
|tuyo / tuya||tuyos / tuyas||yours|
|suyo / suya||suyos / suyas||his, her, formal yours|
|nuestro / nuestra||nuestros / nuestras||ours|
|vuestro / vuestra||vuestros / vuestras||yours|
|suyo / suya||suyos / suyas||theirs, formal yours|
*These forms carry the accent mark.
Long form placement
The long forms are placed after the noun they modify.
Las camisas tuyas son todas blancas. (Your shirts are all white.)
Gender and number of long forms
All long forms have a a masculine, feminine and plural forms.
- El abuelo mío se llama Felipe. (My grandfather's name is Felipe.)
- Los libros míos no caben en esta mochila. (My books do not fit in this backpack.)
- A Lucas le gustan los zapatos y los vestidos míos. (Lucas likes my shoes and dresses.)
- Las maestras mías suelen mimarme. (My teachers are used to pampering me.)
Third-person singular and plural forms (suyo, suyos...)
Suyo and suyos refer to a male (he), female (she) or plural subject (they). The context will help you to determine the person the adjective refers to.
Me gustan los zapatos suyos. (I like his/her/their shoes.)
Other English equivalents of the long forms
Of mine, of yours, of ours are other English translations of the long forms.
Carlos es un amigo mío. (Carlos is a friend of mine.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Parli@mo italiano! Italian classes with a certified teacher! English and Spanish classes
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school and also Spanish and... French as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!
English Course - All Levels
I teach: English, Spanish
Greetings dear student,My name is Alberto Pérez. I am an English teacher with honors at the Universidad Experimental Libertador in... Barquisimeto, Venezuela. I have ample experience (7 years) teaching hundreds of students the English language with several methods for teaching it. This has been always making learning more suitable and easy for students.I have worked in universities, high schools and academies so I have a basic experience with adults, young people and adolescents. In addition to a master's degree in "Educational Management", whose thesis on the management of technological tools to carry out a more meaningful, effective and efficient student learning in English.In addition to this, I have 3 years of experience working as an online English teacher-tutor. I teach through applications such as Skype and other online teaching platforms where student learning is concretized more effectively and actively in comparison to face-to-face classes.It's important to say that I am also in the capacity and training to teach Spanish which is my native language; I teach it by the same means as English. On the other hand, I teach my English lessons online in a particular way, not only in the teaching methods of English but also taking into account the processes that are given to carry out learning in the human being; thus attacking the most specific needs that each student needs. For this, I use practical and psychological techniques which through have been successful during last years. Read more