In this chapter you will learn about the Dutch prepositions. It gives you an overview of the different prepositions and how to use them. The Dutch language has three categories of prepositions. In the subchapters you can study these different categories of prepositions.
Definition and usage of Dutch prepositions
Prepositions are used to indicate a connection between words in the sentence. A preposition is never an independent part of the sentence, it belongs (almost) always to a noun.
Tip: you can remember prepositions as so called 'kast-woordjes' (closet-words). This is a way to test if a word is a preposition. The Dutch prepositions can (almost) always be combined with the word 'kast' (closet).
- Het boek ligt in de kast. - The book is in the closet.
- Het boek ligt op de kast.- The book is on the closet.
The Dutch language has four categories of prepositions:
1) Prepositions of place
Prepositions of place indicate a relationship related to space or location.
- Zij is nog thuis. = She is still at home.
- We studeren aan de universiteit. = We study at the university.
2) Prepositions of movement
Prepositions of movement are used to indicate direction.
- Zij fietsen naar de supermarkt. = They cycle to the supermarket.
- Ik wandel langs een rivier. = I walk along a river.
3) Prepositions of time
Prepositions of time refer to a time relationship.
- Jullie moeten hier om 8.00 zijn. = You must be here at 8.00 a.m.
- Je bent een arts sinds 2010. = You have been a doctor since 2010.
There are Dutch verbs that have a fixed preposition. The verb is always combined with the same preposition. In this case, the preposition is irreplaceable. The preposition is important for the meaning of the verb.
- Ik wacht op mijn hamburger (wachten op) – I am waiting for my hamburger.
- Hij is bang voor spinnen. (bang zijn voor) - He is afraid of spiders.
- Kim is dol op ijs. (dol zijn op) - Kim loves ice-cream.
Dutch has a couple prepositional expressions. This means that multiple prepositions are used to express something. These have a 'fixed' structure:
preposition + noun+ preposition
- Er hebben belangrijke ontwikkelingen plaatsgevonden met betrekking tot het klimaat. (Important developments have taken place with regard to/concerning the climate.)
- Ik ging naar school in plaats van naar huis. (I went to school instead of to my home.)
Veel mensen hebben zich aangemeld door middel van het aanmeldformulier. (Many people have signed up by means of the registration form.
Sometimes words look like prepositions in a sentence, but they actually are a part of a separable verb.
- Hij bakt de kip aan. (aanbakken) - He is baking the chicken.
- Wij geven ons op voor de quiz. (opgeven) - We are sigining up for the quiz.
- Ze stellen vaak voor om naar het strand te gaan. (voorstellen) - They often propose to go to the beach.
Take a look at the preposition list to study all the prepositions. Also take a look at the other chapters to learn more about the different categories of prepositions.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Dutch language lessons from beginner to advanced
I teach: Dutch
Hi! I live in Germany since 2014, I live in the Frankfurt am Main area. I teach German to refugees since the beginning of 2017 and I have been... teaching Dutch at several language schools, at peoples homes and in-house at several companies. I passed the C1-level Test for German at the Goethe Institut. It is my goal to adapt my lessons as much as possible to the wishes of the student. This means that, besides offering regular learning methods, I am open to initiatives like talking about subjects that are of interest to the student, for example reading and discussing articles, watching and discussing educational videos and/or current happenings in the world. I look forward to meeting you online! Read more
English and Dutch Classes
I teach: Dutch, English
Hello!My name is Danique de Jong and I am a 20 year old student living in the Netherlands. I am Dutch, but grew up in Austria, Germany and... Portugal and I speak English and Dutch fluently and German proficiently. I am currently studying to become an international primary school teacher. Additionally, I currently tutor several students in my neighborhood for math and English. Growing up in many cultures and learning several languages, means I can teach you about the grammar, spelling, sentence structure etc. of a language, as well as the cultural influences on the langauge.I offer a trial lesson to get to know each other, determine what I can do for you and create a plan. I really enjoy teaching other people so I hope you'll join me for a lesson. Read more
Dutch and Spanish teacher.
I teach: Dutch, Spanish
Hi, I'm Adriaan. I have been teaching for seven years Dutch and Spanish to students of all levels, from absolute beginners to students who... only need conversation. My students are of all ages, from 9 to 76 years old and from all continents. With each student I create a Google doc in which I put all the grammatical information, exercises and homework after each class. I can help you if you want to learn the language for fun, for work, or to prepare for an exam. Languages are my passion! See you soon! Read more