Dutch possessive pronouns (bezittelijk voornaamwoord)
Definition and usage of possessive pronouns
Possessive pronouns are used to describe to whom an object belongs. Most possessive pronouns are stressed and don't have an unstressed form. Stressed possessive pronouns are used when the emphasis lies on the pronoun in the sentence. The table below shows the different pronouns.
|Jouw / je||Your|
|Zijn / haar||Its|
|Onze / ons||Our|
|Jullie / je||Your|
Exceptions of Dutch possessive pronouns
- 'Your' (singular) has two forms in Dutch instead of one like the other possessive pronouns.
- This possessive pronoun has a stressed and an unstressed form. 'Your' is the stressed and 'Je' is the unstressed form.
- 'Its' has two forms in Dutch: 'zijn' or 'haar'.
- The usage depends on the gender of the words. 'Zijn' is used for masculine and neuter words and 'haar' for feminine. Although in everyday Dutch the distinction between these two categories is not made anymore. 'Zijn' is used in almost every situation.
- 'Our' has two forms in Dutch instead of one.
- 'Onze' is used for nouns that get the article 'de' and plural nouns. 'Ons' is used for nouns that get the article 'het'.
- 'Your' (plural) has two forms as well.
- 'Jullie' is the most common one, but 'je' is sometimes used to avoid the usage of 'jullie' two times in one sentence.
For example: Hebben jullie je lunch meegebracht? - Have you brought your lunch?
Instead of: Hebben jullie jullie lunch meegebracht?
Example of possessive pronouns
|Jouw / je||
|Onze / ons||
|Jullie / je||
Train your skills with the exercises below.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Dutch language lessons from beginner to advanced
I teach: Dutch
Hi! I live in Germany since 2014, I live in the Frankfurt am Main area. I teach German to refugees since the beginning of 2017 and I have been... teaching Dutch at several language schools, at peoples homes and in-house at several companies. I passed the C1-level Test for German at the Goethe Institut. It is my goal to adapt my lessons as much as possible to the wishes of the student. This means that, besides offering regular learning methods, I am open to initiatives like talking about subjects that are of interest to the student, for example reading and discussing articles, watching and discussing educational videos and/or current happenings in the world. I look forward to meeting you online! Read more
Dutch and Spanish teacher.
I teach: Dutch, Spanish
Hi, I'm Adriaan. I have been teaching for seven years Dutch and Spanish to students of all levels, from absolute beginners to students who... only need conversation. My students are of all ages, from 9 to 76 years old and from all continents. With each student I create a Google doc in which I put all the grammatical information, exercises and homework after each class. I can help you if you want to learn the language for fun, for work, or to prepare for an exam. Languages are my passion! See you soon! Read more
English lessons all levels
I teach: Dutch, English, French, German
Hello,I would love to help you improve your knowledge of English.I adapt the lessons following your wishes : are you a beginner and need to get... some basic knowledge with grammar and easy texts or do you want to improve your conversation skills. I can help you either way.Looking forward to meeting you ! Read more