As was mentioned in the lesson about numbers in the course for beginners, there are groups we divide numbers into. In Slovak language there are 5 of them. We indicate gender, grammatical number and we do the declension using 6 cases according to the models. Let's have a look at all of them!
Classification of numerals
First of all, the numerals have the form of nouns (sto), adjectives (prvý) or adverbs (dvojako). Here is the classification:
- tri (three), päť (five)...
- veľa (a lot), málo (a few)...
- druhý (second), štvrtý (fourth)...
- posledný (the last one), ostatný (the one that is left from many options)...
- dvoje (two of..), jedni (one of..)...
- viacerí (many of..), viacero (many of...)...
- jednako (in one way), štvorako (in 4 ways)...
- mnohorako (in many ways)...
- dvakrát (two times), veľakrát (many times)...
- jeden raz (one time), veľa ráz (many times)...
- štvornásobný (quadruple), mnohonásobne (many times)..
These numerals could be
certain (when we know exactly how many, they contain number)
- for example: jeden (one), jeden raz (one time), dvoje (two of..)
uncertain (we don't know how many, they express the quantity only approximately)
- for example: málo (a few),veľa ráz (many times), viacerí (many of)
Gender of numerals
The gender of the numerals depends on the word standing behind them. For example:
- štyri stoličky (4 chairs) - stolička is feminine gender, therefore, štyri has also feminine gender
- štyria chlapci (4 boys) - chlapec is masculine gender, therefore štyria has also masculine ggender
Singular or plural of numerals
This depends also on the grammatical number of the nouns standing behind the numerals. For example:
- prvý chlapec (the first boy) - chlapec is in singular, therefore prvý is also singular
- prví chlapci (the first boys) - chlapci is in plural, therefore prví is also plural
Declension of numerals
- numerals that are in a form of nouns are declined according to the models of the noun
- numerals that are in a form of adjectives are declined according to the models of the adjectives
However, there are numerals, that have their own declension.
Declension of number 1
and plural form
|Case||masculine living||feminine, neutral and masculine non-living|
Number 1 (jeden) is the model of itself!
Declension of 2,3,4
Dva, tri, štyri are declined in the same way.
|Case||masculine living||masculine non-living||feminine and neutral|
|I||dvoma, dvomi||dvoma, dvomi||dvoma, dvomi|
|I||troma, tromi||troma, tromi|
|I||štyroma, štyrmi||štyroma, štyrmi|
Number from 5-99 are declined according to this model.
Other models for numerals
As was mentioned before, we use some noun models or adjective models as well.
- STO is declined according to mesto if stands alone. In connection with a noun, it is indeclinable.
- TISÍC is declined according to stroj if stands alone. In connection with a noun, it is indeclinable.
- MILIÓN is declined according to dub if stands alone. In connection with a noun it is indeclinable.
- MILIARDA is declined according to žena if stands alone. In connecton with a noun it is indeclinable.
Collective numerals are indeclinable.
Ordinal, generic and multiple numerals are declined according to adjective models pekný and cudzí, depending on endings.
Almost all of them are declined according to pekný, as almost all of them end with -ý and hard or bilabial consonant before -ý.
But "tretí" and "tisíci" are declined according to cudzí.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
I teach: English, German, Russian, Slovak
Hi! I’m Yasmina, a professional German, English, Russian and Slovak teacher for adults and teenagers. I am fluent in 4 foreign... languages and I have sucessfuly passed C2 level exams for English and German. I have a Masters degree in foreign languages and cultures from Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia. During my studies I have done a couple of exchanges abroad (Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Italy, Qatar, Iceland, etc).I have lived in 4 countries, therefore I know how challenging it may be - to learn and SPEAK foreign language afterwards. I’ve been teaching and learning languages for more than 8 years (3 years of teaching experience). I am absolutely sure, that your learning process starts, when you begin to speak. Therefore my lessons are mainly conversational, but you would need to do your homework at home :)As a result, we can use your new knowledge during the lesson. Language learning is fun and a lot of hard work at the same time. But if you know what to do, than the process becomes much easier and enjoyable.Here is the key information on the lessons/courses:1. Lessons are tailored to your needs2. All materials are provided3. Before we start, during the trial lesson, I will test you level and we will develop a plan in order to reach your goal as soon as possible.Any questions? Don’t hesitate to ask me!All the best,Yasmina Read more
Slovak lessons with qualified teacher
I teach: Slovak
I am a qualified, experienced teacher of Slovak for foreigners. I have master´s degree in teaching and I´ve been teaching Slovak... both in person and online for 10 years. I prepare unique lessons for every student according to their level, needs, goals and preferences. I offer free trial lesson where we assess student´s level, discuss goals and make a plan of lessons. We also set our schedule and student gets a chance to see my teaching style and methods. .So, if you like to explore the beauty of my mother language, I will be pleased to assist you! Looking forward to meeting you soon online!Regards,Libi Read more
Individual lessons in Czech/Slovak with professional teacher
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Do you need individual lessons with a professional teacher or consultation, preparation for exam or conversations?Let´s work together, I... am ready to help You!I am a professional translator, proofreader and teacher, working with English/German/Slovak/Czech languages for about 15 years. I have experience with all categories of students and texts, 10 years of experience with university and high school students. Through that period I have worked for 7 universities, more than 20 companies and many individuals and have successfully delivered lectures or consultations. Choose this consultation if You are looking for individual approach or You have specific problems, such as preparation for an exam or proofreading consultations. The method of our consultation will depend on Your desired goal or problem. But in general we will do conversation, reading, listening, and writing exercises.Hope to hear from You soon! Looking forward, Peter Read more