Slovak sentence structure
Slovak language has different word order according to different types of sentences. In this lesson we will tell you something about the word order, which case to use in a sentence and more. Let's have a look at it!
This is the usual word order in a declarative sentence:
- subject + verb + other components of the sentence + .
- Adam (subject) + ide (verb) + zajtra (adverb) + do práce (adverb) + sám (adverb).
- (Adam + goes + tomorrow + to work + alone.)
However, in Slovak language the order can be slightly changeable. It depends on the meaning of the sentence and what would we like to point out.
The word you want to emphasize, is usually at the end of the sentence.
Here are the examples of how the sentence changes its meaning with changing the order:
- Adam ide zajtra do práce sám. (the emphasis on "sám"= alone)
- Adam ide do práce sám zajtra. (emphasis on "zajtra"=tomorrow)
- Sám do práce ide zajtra Adam. (emphasis on "Adam")
This is the usual word order in an interrogative sentence:
- Interrogative pronoun + verb + subject + other components + ?
- Prečo (interrogative pronoun) + ide (verb) + Adam (subject) + zajtra (adverb) + sám (adverb) + do práce (adverb)?
- (Why + goes + Adam + tomorrow + alone + to work?)
We can create an interrogative sentence also by switching the verb and the subject, putting the verb first:
- Verb + subject + other components + ?
- Ide (verb) + Adam (subject) + zajtra + do školy + sám?
- (Goes + Adam + tomorrow + to school + alone?)
This is the usual word order in an imperative sentence:
- Form of addressing (optional) + verb + other components + !
- Adam, (subject) + choď (verb) + zajtra + do školy + sám!
- (Adam + go + tomorrow + to school + alone!)
- (no subject) Choď (verb) + do školy + sám!
- (Go + to school + alone!)
A complex sentence is composed by 2 or more sentences. It contains one main sentence and other sentences. The other sentences specify the main sentence and usually they are separated with a comma.
Here are some examples:
- Mama ide do školy, do ktorej chodila ako malá. (Mum goes to school she attended when she was young.)
- Mám ťa rada, lebo si dobrá. (I like you because you are good.)
- Išiel do školy a bola zima. (He went to school and it was cold.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Slovak lessons with qualified teacher
I teach: Slovak
I am a qualified, experienced teacher of Slovak for foreigners. I have master´s degree in teaching and I´ve been teaching Slovak... both in person and online for 10 years. I prepare unique lessons for every student according to their level, needs, goals and preferences. I offer free trial lesson where we assess student´s level, discuss goals and make a plan of lessons. We also set our schedule and student gets a chance to see my teaching style and methods. .So, if you like to explore the beauty of my mother language, I will be pleased to assist you! Looking forward to meeting you soon online!Regards,Libi Read more
Slovak, Czech online courses+English for beginners and intermediate students
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Hi. I m qualified English teacher and Slovak native speaker who provides online tuition worldwide. I like teaching pretty much and I like... meeting new people. I've been teaching for about 7-8 years so far and am having my own language school, too. If you would have any other questions, just do not hesitate to ask me. Read more
Individual lessons in Czech/Slovak with professional teacher
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Are You looking for indivdual lessons with professional teacher?Do You need consultations, preparation for an exam or conversations?Let´s... work together, I am ready to help You!I am a professional translator, proofreader and teacher, working with English/German/Slovak/Czech/Hungarian language for about 15 years. I have experience with all categories of students and with various levels as well.My experience covers 10 years of university and high school teaching. Through that period I have worked for 7 universities, more than 20 companies and many individuals and have successfully delivered lectures or consultations. Choose this consultation if:You are looking for individual approachYou have specific problems, such as preparation for an examYou need proofreading or other consultations The methodology of our cooperation will depend on Your desired goal or problem.In general we will do conversation, reading, listening, and writing exercises.Hope to hear from You soon! PhDr. Peter Jan Kosmály, Ph.D. Read more