Slovak sentence structure
Slovak language has different word order according to different types of sentences. In this lesson we will tell you something about the word order, which case to use in a sentence and more. Let's have a look at it!
This is the usual word order in a declarative sentence:
- subject + verb + other components of the sentence + .
- Adam (subject) + ide (verb) + zajtra (adverb) + do práce (adverb) + sám (adverb).
- (Adam + goes + tomorrow + to work + alone.)
However, in Slovak language the order can be slightly changeable. It depends on the meaning of the sentence and what would we like to point out.
The word you want to emphasize, is usually at the end of the sentence.
Here are the examples of how the sentence changes its meaning with changing the order:
- Adam ide zajtra do práce sám. (the emphasis on "sám"= alone)
- Adam ide do práce sám zajtra. (emphasis on "zajtra"=tomorrow)
- Sám do práce ide zajtra Adam. (emphasis on "Adam")
This is the usual word order in an interrogative sentence:
- Interrogative pronoun + verb + subject + other components + ?
- Prečo (interrogative pronoun) + ide (verb) + Adam (subject) + zajtra (adverb) + sám (adverb) + do práce (adverb)?
- (Why + goes + Adam + tomorrow + alone + to work?)
We can create an interrogative sentence also by switching the verb and the subject, putting the verb first:
- Verb + subject + other components + ?
- Ide (verb) + Adam (subject) + zajtra + do školy + sám?
- (Goes + Adam + tomorrow + to school + alone?)
This is the usual word order in an imperative sentence:
- Form of addressing (optional) + verb + other components + !
- Adam, (subject) + choď (verb) + zajtra + do školy + sám!
- (Adam + go + tomorrow + to school + alone!)
- (no subject) Choď (verb) + do školy + sám!
- (Go + to school + alone!)
A complex sentence is composed by 2 or more sentences. It contains one main sentence and other sentences. The other sentences specify the main sentence and usually they are separated with a comma.
Here are some examples:
- Mama ide do školy, do ktorej chodila ako malá. (Mum goes to school she attended when she was young.)
- Mám ťa rada, lebo si dobrá. (I like you because you are good.)
- Išiel do školy a bola zima. (He went to school and it was cold.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Slovak lessons with qualified teacher
I teach: Slovak
I am a qualified, experienced teacher of Slovak for foreigners. I have master´s degree in teaching and I´ve been teaching Slovak... both in person and online for 10 years. I prepare unique lessons for every student according to their level, needs, goals and preferences. I offer free trial lesson where we assess student´s level, discuss goals and make a plan of lessons. We also set our schedule and student gets a chance to see my teaching style and methods. .So, if you like to explore the beauty of my mother language, I will be pleased to assist you! Looking forward to meeting you soon online!Regards,Libi Read more
Slovak, Czech online courses+English for beginners and intermediate students
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Hi. I m qualified English teacher and Slovak native speaker who provides online tuition worldwide. I like teaching pretty much and I like... meeting new people. I've been teaching for about 7-8 years so far and am having my own language school, too. If you would have any other questions, just do not hesitate to ask me. Read more
Study Czech/Slovak with a professional teacher
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Do you need a professional teacher for Your Czech/Slovak language studies?Are You looking for consultations or help with proofreading?I am ready... to help!My experience covers 15 years of translations from/to Czech, Slovak, English and German.As an university teacher I have supervised dozens of theses, including doctoral ones.I am a holder of 2 doctorates (media, philosophy) and have been employed by 8 Czech/Slovak universities.During my career as translator/proofreader I have worked with texts and whole books from various areas.I have an individual approach and the whole learning experience is set to match Your needs. Don´t hesitate to contact me!I am looking forward to our cooperation. Read more