There are 7 cases, 3 genders and 12 primary models of nouns. We also differentiate between singular and plural form. Learn how the nouns are divided and how to make a declension of the nouns using these basic rules.
First of all, the nous can be general or personal and concrete or abstract:
- General = written with small initial letters, names of people, animals, things of the same kind: láska, ruka, človek, muž, kvet, stôl...
- Personal = written with capital initial letters, names of people, animals, holidays, towns, countries...: Dušan, Anna, Slovensko, Bratislava, Vianoce, Lapaj...
- Concrete = we can touch the objects and can be observed with sense organs: Anna, drevo, pero, mobil, stena, kvet, pes...
- Abstract = we cannot touch the abstract objects and cannot be observed with sense organs: láska, Vianoce, šťastie, radosť, slovenčina
Genders of Slovak nouns
As Slovak language does not have articles in front of the nouns, it is harder to remember the genders of the words. In this lesson we will look into the ways of identifying the gender of the nouns.
- žena (a woman) - feminine gender
- pes (a dog) - masculine gender
- dievča (a girl) - neutral gender
Plural of Slovak nouns
As in many other languages, Slovak language has grammatical numbers as well. Those are singular and plural. In this lesson we will show you how to create the plural form and we will present you the nouns which have only the Plural form.
- žena (a woman) - ženy (women)
- pes (a dog) - psy (dogs)
- dievča (a girl) - dievčatá (girls)
Models of Slovak nouns
Each out of 3 genders has 4 basic models, making it 12 basic models, which we will teach you in this lesson. These are important when you want to decline the noun and create a Plural of the noun.
- stena (a wall) - declined according to model "žena"
- cesto (a dough) - declined according to model "mesto"
- nôž (a knife) - declined according to model "stroj"
Let´s get started!
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Slovak lessons with qualified teacher
I teach: Slovak
I am a qualified, experienced teacher of Slovak for foreigners. I have master´s degree in teaching and I´ve been teaching Slovak... both in person and online for 10 years. I prepare unique lessons for every student according to their level, needs, goals and preferences. I offer free trial lesson where we assess student´s level, discuss goals and make a plan of lessons. We also set our schedule and student gets a chance to see my teaching style and methods. .So, if you like to explore the beauty of my mother language, I will be pleased to assist you! Looking forward to meeting you soon online!Regards,Libi Read more
Slovak, Czech online courses+English for beginners and intermediate students
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Hi. I m qualified English teacher and Slovak native speaker who provides online tuition worldwide. I like teaching pretty much and I like... meeting new people. I've been teaching for about 7-8 years so far and am having my own language school, too. If you would have any other questions, just do not hesitate to ask me. Read more
Study Czech/Slovak with a professional teacher
I teach: Czech, English, Slovak
Do you need a professional teacher for Your Czech/Slovak language studies?Are You looking for consultations or help with proofreading?I am ready... to help!My experience covers 15 years of translations from/to Czech, Slovak, English and German.As an university teacher I have supervised dozens of theses, including doctoral ones.I am a holder of 2 doctorates (media, philosophy) and have been employed by 8 Czech/Slovak universities.During my career as translator/proofreader I have worked with texts and whole books from various areas.I have an individual approach and the whole learning experience is set to match Your needs. Don´t hesitate to contact me!I am looking forward to our cooperation. Read more