The -ma infinitive
When to use the -ma infinitive?
The -ma infinitive is used in the following instances:
1) after verbs of motion, such as:
|to drive, ride||sõitma|
|to put, set||panema|
- Ma lähen välja sööma. --- I will go out to eat.
- Pane raadio mängima. --- Turn the radio on. (lit: put the radio to play)
- Ma tulin siia pidutsema. --- I came here to party.
2) after certain other verbs, such as:
|to be suitable||kõlbama|
|to have to / must||pidama|
|to learn, study||õppima|
- Ma hakkan varsti minema. --- I'll start going soon. (lit: I will begin to go soon).
- Sa pead raamatu läbi lugema. --- You must finish reading the book.
- Ma õpin laulma. --- I am learning to sing.
3) after certain adjectives or participles:
|accustomed, used to||harjunud|
- Ma olen valmis minema. --- I am ready to go.
- Ma olin sunnitud siia tulema. --- I was forced to come here.
- Ma olen harjunud vara ärkama. --- I am used to getting up early.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Estonian, English or Russian private lessons
I teach: English, Estonian, Russian
Hi,First of all, I would like to congratulate you on the decision to learn or improve a new language. Whether it is Estonian, English or... Russian, beginner, advanced or Business language - you are in the right place.My name is Martin and I am coming from a tiny country in the Northern Europe called Estonia. One of my biggest hobbies is teaching and educating others, that is why for the past 3 years I have been living and working in Istanbul while teaching English to different age groups: kindergarten, school, university as well as adults. I have had students from Beginners to Advanced as well as several businessmen and CEOs of international companies located in Istanbul. What is more, for the last 2 years I have been teaching Estonian, English and Russian online through Skype that gave me chance to meet people from all over the world and help them on their journey of learning foreign languages in a comfortable and enjoyable environment.We are going to have a 20-30-minute trial lesson during which we can get to know each other, set expectations towards the lessons and schedule the timetable. The next step is simple - we start learning the language of your choice! As simple as it is :)During the lessons we will focus on making you speak even with the limited vocabulary because speaking is the key to learning a new language quickly and in a fun way!Cannot wait to receive your in-mail and help you on your journey to learn and speak a foreign language.Martin Read more
Very experienced teacher!
Group lessons possible