The -da infinitive
The second type of infinitive usually has the ending -da. In some cases, the suffix can be -ta or only -a (-d- has disappeared).
If the stem of the verb already ends in d or t, this consonant is normally not repeated and only -a is added to the end of the word.
When to use the -da infinitive?
1) after verbs expressing wish, intention, possibility:
|to try, attempt||proovima|
|to be able, know how||oskama|
- Ma tahan tantsida. --- I want to dance.
- Kas sa oskad tennist mängida? --- Do you know how to play tennis?
- Ma soovin puhata. --- I wish to rest
2) after verbs that express a feeling or emotion:
|to fear, be afraid||kartma|
- Ma armastan meres ujuda. --- I love to swim in the sea.
- Mulle meeldib filme vaadata. --- I like to watch movies.
- Ma kardan üksi pimedas kõndida. --- I am afraid to walk alone in the dark.
3) after impersonal expressions:
|it is time||on aeg|
|it is beneficial, useful||on kasulik|
|it is hard||on raske|
|it is necessary||on tarvis|
|it is necessary||on vaja|
|it is painful||on valus|
|it is possible||saab|
|it is permitted||tohib|
|one ought to, must||tuleb|
- On aeg koju minna. --- It is time to go home.
- Seda on valus vaadata. --- It is painful to watch this.
- Trenni on kasulik teha iga päev. --- It is beneficial to work out every day.
4) after the conjunction et, when it means 'in order to'
- Ma lähen poodi, et osta piima. --- I am going to the shop to buy milk.
5) when the infinitive is used as the subject in a sentence, or when it modifies a subject:
- Eksida on inimlik. --- To be mistaken is human.
The gerund (-des form)
The -des form is derived from the -da infinitive and it is used to indicate an action which occurs at the same time as another.
It is constructed by substituting the endings -da, -ta or -a with -des, -tes or -es respectively.
- Käi poodi minnes pagariärist läbi. --- While going to the shop visit the bakery as well.
- Läksin koju joostes. --- I went home running.
- Nad istuvad vaikides. --- They sit (while) being quiet.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Estonian, English or Russian private lessons
I teach: English, Estonian, Russian
Hi,First of all, I would like to congratulate you on the decision to learn or improve a new language. Whether it is Estonian, English or... Russian, beginner, advanced or Business language - you are in the right place.My name is Martin and I am coming from a tiny country in the Northern Europe called Estonia. One of my biggest hobbies is teaching and educating others, that is why for the past 3 years I have been living and working in Istanbul while teaching English to different age groups: kindergarten, school, university as well as adults. I have had students from Beginners to Advanced as well as several businessmen and CEOs of international companies located in Istanbul. What is more, for the last 2 years I have been teaching Estonian, English and Russian online through Skype that gave me chance to meet people from all over the world and help them on their journey of learning foreign languages in a comfortable and enjoyable environment.We are going to have a 20-30-minute trial lesson during which we can get to know each other, set expectations towards the lessons and schedule the timetable. The next step is simple - we start learning the language of your choice! As simple as it is :)During the lessons we will focus on making you speak even with the limited vocabulary because speaking is the key to learning a new language quickly and in a fun way!Cannot wait to receive your in-mail and help you on your journey to learn and speak a foreign language.Martin Read more