Elative case in Estonian
When to use the elative case in Estonian?
The elative case (seestütlev kääne in Estonian) indicates coming out of the space or object. It answers the questions kust? 'where from?', kellest? '(out) of whom?', millest? '(out) of what?'.
- Ta lendas Eestist Hispaaniasse. --- He flew (out of) Estonia to Spain.
- Ma väljun kohe majast. --- I am leaving the house now.
- Sellest linnast on pärit paljud kuulsad lauljad. --- Many famous singers are from this town.
In addition to the basic meaning 'out of', it can be used in other instances as well.
1) The elative indicates the material out of which an object is made.
- Millest see on tehtud? --- Of what is this made?
- See maja on tehtud tellistest. --- This house is made of bricks.
- See käevõru on tehtud kullast. --- This bracelet is made of gold.
2) The elative indicates the person or object which is being talked or thought about. Here it answers the questions kellest? 'about whom?' and millest? 'about what?'.
- Millest sa räägid? --- What are you talking about?
- Ma mõtlen sinust tihti. --- I think about you often.
- Vanaisa räägib oma minevikust. --- Grandfather is talking about his past.
3) The elative is also used in a variety of special expressions.
- Ma jäin rongist maha. --- I missed the train.
- Ma olen sellest väsinud. --- I am tired of this.
- Ta nuttis rõõmust. --- She was crying out of happiness.
- Me peame lugu õpetajast. --- We respect (think highly of) the teacher.
- Ma võtan festivalist osa. --- I will participate in the festival.
How to form the elative case?
The ending -st is added to the genitive form.
The adjective modifying a noun in the illative, inessive or elative case takes the same case form as the noun.
- Nad töötavad modernses kontoris. --- They are working at a modern office.
- Noormees armus kenasse neiusse. --- The young man fell in love with a nice girl.
- Ma olen pärit suurest linnast. --- I am from a big city.
Practice with exercises!
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Estonian, English or Russian private lessons
I teach: English, Estonian, Russian
Hi,First of all, I would like to congratulate you on the decision to learn or improve a new language. Whether it is Estonian, English or... Russian, beginner, advanced or Business language - you are in the right place.My name is Martin and I am coming from a tiny country in the Northern Europe called Estonia. One of my biggest hobbies is teaching and educating others, that is why for the past 3 years I have been living and working in Istanbul while teaching English to different age groups: kindergarten, school, university as well as adults. I have had students from Beginners to Advanced as well as several businessmen and CEOs of international companies located in Istanbul. What is more, for the last 2 years I have been teaching Estonian, English and Russian online through Skype that gave me chance to meet people from all over the world and help them on their journey of learning foreign languages in a comfortable and enjoyable environment.We are going to have a 20-30-minute trial lesson during which we can get to know each other, set expectations towards the lessons and schedule the timetable. The next step is simple - we start learning the language of your choice! As simple as it is :)During the lessons we will focus on making you speak even with the limited vocabulary because speaking is the key to learning a new language quickly and in a fun way!Cannot wait to receive your in-mail and help you on your journey to learn and speak a foreign language.Martin Read more
Very experienced teacher!