Days and months in Spanish
The present reading is consistent of 4 parts. First, you'll get to know the days of the week. Then follows the vocabulary for the months. The third part are the seasons. And finally you'll get acquainted with the rules for telling the date.
The days of the week
While in English the days are written down with capital letters, in Spanish they are done so with lowercase.
|fin de semana||weekend|
- Hoy es jueves. (Today is Thursday)
- Lunes es el primer día de la semana laboral. (Monday is the first day of the workweek)
Months in Spanish
Just like in the case with the week days, the months in Spanish language are written with small letters.
Mayo tiene 31 días. (May has 31 days)
Agosto es el octavo mes del año. (August is the 8th month of the year)
The seasons are with small letters, too.
- El invierno es la estación más fría del año. (The winter is the coldest season of the year)
- Al comienzo de la primevera despiertan las plantas. (At the beginning of the spring the plants wake up.)
How to write the date?
There are a couple of differences in comparison with the English dates:
- The months are not capitalized in Spanish
- While in English the dates are enunciated with ordinal numbers, in Spanish they are with cardinal numbers. Аn exception is that you might turn to speak "primero" for "first", for example "primero de mayo" (1st of March).
- The years in Spanish are pronounced like the cardinal numbers, e.g. 1455 = mil cuatrocientos cincuenta y cinco. It will be wrong if one say as it is in English "catorce cincuenta y cinco" (fourteen fifty five).
- While in English we use the preposition "on" for indicating that something happened on a particular date, in Spanish there is no such a preposition. It is just utilized the definite article "el" before the date. For instance: El 14 de julio es mi cumpleaños. (My birthday is on 14th of July).
|veintinueve de junio, 2017||29th of June, 2017|
|catorce de julio, 1568||14th of July, 1568|
|doce de agosto, 1325||12th of August, 1325|
|dieciseis de mayo, 1522||16th of May, 1522|
- El 26 de mayo se hará realidad el concierto. (On 26th of May the concert will become a reality)
- El 4 de marzo 2007 buscamos estudiantes y recién graduados para la práctica. (On 4th of March 2007 we searched for students and recently graduated for the internship)
What did you do on 4th of April this year? Say it in Spanish now! Or practice telling the dates, months, days and seasons with the help of the audio, microphones and exercises we gently prepared for you.
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
Your Spanish teacher
I teach: Spanish
German native teacher for German and Spanish classes
I teach: German, Spanish
I am Marcus Hartmann, 30 years old and I have been living in Cali, Colombia, for more than four years. There I work as a German teacher for... Spanish-speaking people, young and old. I love the German language and develop many modern methodologies to make the German more playful and easier to learn. I also run a blog and a Facebook page, where I present many tips and tricks that make learning German easier. I teach German for all levels and Spanish for beginners. Read more
Very experienced teacher!
It@lian, English and Spanish with Daniela
I teach: English, Italian, Spanish
Hi everyone!My name is Daniela and I am a qualified Italian language teacher! I teach Italian and English at school, and Spanish and French... as a freelancer. I love foreign languages, translating, reading and listening to music. Are you ready to start your language learning path with me? We are going to learn many things and to talk a lot! Don’t worry if you’ve never studied the language before: everyone can attend my classes – from beginner to advanced students. You just need passion for what you're going to do and... a good Internet connection. Materials are provided by me!See you online! Read more
Very experienced teacher!