Comparative and superlative of French adjectives
- 1.How to use the comparative with French adjectives
- 2.Regular Comparatives and Superlatives - plus/moins que and le plus/le moins
- 3.Irregular Comparatives and Superlatives - bon, mauvais, petit
- 3.1.The comparative forms of bon/bonne
- 3.2.The comparative form of mauvais
- 3.3.The comparative form of petit
How to use the comparative with French adjectives
Similar to the English language, adjectives in French can also be used to form the comparative. By using the comparative form you are able to do comparisons.
In general we differ between two regular comparative forms:
- the Comparative (French: le comparatif de supériorité/ d'inferorité)
- the Superlative (French: le superlatif de supérorité/ d'infériorité)
The regular comparative is formed by placing plus, moins or aussi before and que after the adjective or adverb.
The superlative of an adjective is formed by adding the definite article le, la or les to the comparative form
Regular Comparatives and Superlatives - plus/moins que and le plus/le moins
|Comparative/ le comparatif||Superlative/le superlatif|
|...of superiority||plus dangereux que||le plus dangereux|
|...of inferiority||moins dangereux que||le moins dangereux|
Please note that you can use aussi...que to make a comparison of equality. Translated to English it means "as...(as)".
- Cette robe est plus belle que l'autre. (This dress is prettier than the other.)
Marc est l'étudiant le plus intelligent de la classe. (Mark is the most intelligent boy in the class.)
- Ce tailleur est moins cher que l'autre. (This suit is less expensive than the other.)
- Ces peintures sont les moins intéressantes du musée. (This paintings are the least interesting in the museum.)
Irregular Comparatives and Superlatives - bon, mauvais, petit
There are only a few exceptions when it comes to the irregular comparative and superlative forms.
The comparative forms of bon/bonne
- Ce livre est meilleur que l'autre. (This book is better than the other.)
- Ce peinture est la meilleur de toutes. (This painting is the best of all.)
The comparative form of mauvais
le plus mauvais
la plus mauvaise
Please note that mauvais has regular as well as irregular forms. The irregular forms can be translated with the word 'worse'.
- Cette note est plus mauvaise que l'autre. (This grade is worse than the other.)
- Cette note est pire que l'autre. (This grade is worse than the other.)
The comparative form of petit
le plus petit
le plus petite
le plus petite
Please note that petit has regular as well as irregular forms. The irregular forms can be translated with 'least'.
- On n'a pas la moindre preuve contre elle. (You don't have an evidence against me..)
- La maison est plus petite. (The house is very small.)
Practise with a private teacher on Skype!
- Private Skype lessons
- Learn any topic
- Flexible appointments
German lessons and learning materials included
I teach: English, French, German
My name is Christina and I provide fun German and French language lesson for children and adult beginners or intermediate who want to... strengthen their language skills, improve the grammar knowledge, enrich the vocabulary and get into the German culture! I can teach in English or French!I had experince in teaching German, English and French to foreign people so I do have a lot of useful learning material I can provide you to make it easier! Read more
This teacher is one of our premium members. A premium teacher is very motivated to provide an excellent learning experience.
Professionnal French courses with a French native and certified teacher
I teach: French
Hello,Are you looking to learn or improve your French in a Fun and relaxed atmosphere?Look no further !My name is Anissa and I'm a French... native and certified teacher.Focusing on each student's individual level, interests, and goals, my online classes are effective to achieve impressive learning results in a shorter period of time. The courses will be based on your personal needs and during the class you will receive direct explanations, correction and feedback in order to instantly improve your language skills.Whether you want to learn French for your own pleasure or preparing for an exam, an upcoming interview or a presentation at work, I will be happy to assist you in reaching your goals.My online classes are available at any time! Choose a subject from my curriculum or request your own topic, date, time and start master your French!I look forward to meeting you,Anissa, your French (and nice) teacher :)*Please note that I'm not offering a free trial anymore* Read more
English one-on-one tutoring all levels
I teach: Dutch, English, French, Italian
Hello,I would love to help you improve your knowledge of English.I adapt the lessons following your wishes : are you a beginner and need to get... some basic knowledge with grammar and easy texts or do you want to improve your conversation skills. I can help you either way.Looking forward to meeting you ! Read more